Wednesday 24 February 2016

Idler 2.0 Part II

Finally had the chance to fit the new idler in the airplane with all the elevator control system connected from the sitck to the elevator. I wanted to do that before painting the idler in case i had trimming to do first.

On the first try, there was still a little restriction when deflecting the stick to the RH stop. I suspected the washers I added on each side of the rod end connected to the aft hole of the idler to be interfering with the bearings. I grinded the washers to allow more clearance and it helped, but didn't cure completely the problem. I used a belt grinder to remove material from the washers:





After a thorough inspection of the rod end clearances throughout the range of motion of the stick, I haven't found any fouling condition. I was puzzled. This meant that I was reaching the limit in twist of the rod ends.

I took a step back and realized that the stick had more travel on the RH side than the LH side... In fact, I had only one washer on the RH stop bolt vs two on the other side. Before changing anything, I measured the angle on each side and confirmed the RH travel was 24° vs 20° on the LH side. The travel recommended in the assembly manual is +/- 20° so I decided to add a washer on the RH stop bolt and get back to symmetrical travel. I was happy to find that the restriction was gone after that.

I removed the idler, cleaned, primed and painted. Next step is to fit new bearings and reinstall in the fuse!



No comments:

Post a Comment