Sunday 7 August 2016

Throttle and Mixture cables

Ran out of fittings to continue the fuel system installation so I decided to work on installing the throttle and mixture cables. My cables used to be secured with loose tie wraps, which obviously I didn't like. I therefore installed Adel clamps like this on two places. This got me a nice, tight installation:



I found these Adel clamp installation pliers at Oshkosh last year. They came with a sharp stick to line up the clamps together. They work quite well and save me some time:


The old firewall installation was grommets + a huge blob of RTV sealant. While the engine was still under the crane, I planned to replace that with two Cable Safe II bulkhead fittings. The advantage of these fittings is that they split into two halves so that you can install them on cables that already have crimped terminals on both ends. Here is the final result:



Both cables were manufactured by ACS. when I removed them last year, I found that all grommets on them were dry and cracked. I was pleased to see that Spruce had them for sale (see here). I therefore replaced all four of them (one on each end):



I was quite happy once the cables were all secure, free of interference and chafing. It took my a few iterations to make sure I had the full travel and that the controls in the cockpit were where I wanted them.

3 comments:

  1. I like the look of those those "cable safe" fittings...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah they're a little expensive, but so much cleaner than a grommet with a big blob of RTV! The original holes were bigger than the required 7/16 hole so I had to rivet this 304 SS plate.

      Delete
  2. Hi very nice job, I have an Ultimate 10-200 and I am wondering what type and length of cables are these and a P/N if possible. The look like ACS.

    Thanks Christian

    ReplyDelete