Saturday 25 June 2016

Side panel brackets

Flight tests at work being quite demanding lately, I can barely work on the Pitts. Last week-end, I had a few hours to work on the aluminium brackets that snap on the top longerons to attach the side panels.

They originally had nyloc nutplates. I decided to change them to all metal nutplates for multiple reasons:

- The rivet holes on the brackets were not dimpled, therefore the rivets were chafing with the aluminium panels
- Nyloc may not be reused if the nylon doesn't provide enough friction (AC43-13)
- All metal nutplates are smaller and lighter

Took me a few hours to drill the old rivets, dimple all rivet holes, dimple all new nutplates and squeeze all the new rivets in place. I used a hand rivet squeezer from my friend Scott both for doing the dimples and rivet squeezing. My friend Marc also helped in replacing the nutplates on the rear brackets. Thanks Scott and Marc!

Here is the new vs old nutplate comparison:


I may have to partially tap the nutplate threads as they are pretty tight. I'll see once I will try to reinstall the side panels. Here is the result once snapped on the fuse:


Will stick some anti-chafing tape on the brackets before reinstalling the panels. I'm thinking of replacing  nutplates also on the vertical braces (right of the above picture), but the access may be challenging for dimpling and riveting. 

Mission for next work session at the hangar: install the main fuel tank.



No comments:

Post a Comment