Tuesday 18 April 2017

Weight & Balance

The weighing time came. The Griffon guys (local shop in CSE4) were kind enough to lease me aviation scales over the week-end.

A little bit like when I step on a scale, I was a little apprehensive on knowing the exact weight of my airplane.

Didn't have ramps to roll it up on the scales, so with the help of my friend Scott, we removed the top cowling, lifted the airplane with a shop crane and straps attached to the engine mount, and slowly lowered it back down on the scales.

Here's what it looked like once ready to make the reading:


Before doing the tail reading, we zeroed the scale with the tail support on it. The wood blocks on the floor were there to prevent a lateral tip over of the support, but weren't touching it.

The empty weight of the airplane was a little higher than I thought, but not by much so I was quite happy with the end result. We also made a reading with myself + parachute in the airplane, as well as with some fuel in to confirm the arms of each.

It feels good to have a reliable datum to start with. I have a few ideas to save a few pounds here and there already... Big thanks to Scott for helping me with the whole process : )

No comments:

Post a Comment