Sunday 20 November 2016

Rigging boards part #1

In preparation for the wings rigging, I started building rigging boards using the plans made by Bill on Biplane Forum. Wasn't sure which kind of wood to use; I finally chose plywood since it's a good compromise between price and and stiffness.

I don't have much woodworking tools so I had the long cuts and 3/8 radii made by a wood shop close to work. All holes and angle cuts were still to be made when I picked up the parts. I used a 1/2" Forstner bit to cut the opening in the 20" bar that swivels:


Then I converted my drill press into a mini milling machine by using a router bit and set the belts to fastest speed:


The rest of the parts were pretty easy to make. I could use my friend Richard's table saw to make the angle cuts:


I made enough parts for 3 boards as recommended on the plans. Next step: the assembly!

No comments:

Post a Comment